History/Activism of the first chapter of Students for America’s Military (at Florida State University):
- Some of SAM’s past events we’ve hosted include: The 9/11: Never Forget Project, Veterans’ Day Roll Call, Treats 4 Troops, Draft A Date, Letter Writing Marathons, Supply Drives, and more.
- We actively help to make FSU become a more Veteran-friendly university by participating in every brand new student-Vet initiative at FSU, including: FSU’s 1st and 2nd annual Student Veteran Film Festival, FSU’s 1st Student Veteran Expo, FSU’s 1st Student Veteran Orientation, FSU’s 1st Student Veteran Networking Night, and the Capital City Consortium.
- We’ve participated in many community events and partnered with other organizations, such as Dance Marathon, Habitat 4 Humanity, Collegiate Veterans Association, FSU’s Army ROTC, FSU’s Airforce ROTC, FAMU’s Navy ROTC, USMC Marine Office Candidates, FSU’s Pershing Rifles, VFW Post #3308, Gamma Phi Beta, Zeta Beta Tau, Zeta Tau Alpha, Girls and Boys Club (Project Kick), Operation Gratitude, and more.
- We have co-hosted many letter-writing events (writing appreciation letters) with many organization, including: “Thank A Veteran” with Lambda Theta Phi, “Adopt A Hero” with Mexican American Student Association, “Seminole Shack Showdown” with Habitat for Humanity, and many resident halls including Smith, Salley, Landis, Gilchrist, Broward, Bryan, Jennie Murphy, and Reynolds.
- We’ve volunteered for several other organizations/philanthropies in support of our military, such as: Malcom Randall VA Medical Center in Gainesville, Robert A. Wise Chili Cookoff, CVA Poker Tournament to benefit Building Homes for Heroes, Tallahassee’s Homeless Veteran Stand Down, and Tallahassee Warrior Walk, and Operation Gratitude
- We have participated/attended many events in support of our Troops and Veterans, such as: ROTC Alumni Reunion, Tinsley 5 K race, marched in the Veterans Day Parade with CVA, Veterans’ Day Vigil, Student Veterans of America (SVA) national conference in Orlando, Capital City Veterans Consortium, Veteran Inaugural Ball, and Army ROTC Military Ball.
- We’ve held several fundraisers including: Treats 4 Troops, Draft A Date, Tomahawks, and bake-sales.
- Over the past few years we’ve sent hundreds of care-packages to deployed Troops—Troops serving in each branch of the military, and deployed to over 20 different countries. In Spring 2010 we sent hundreds of appreciation (“thank you”) letters to 48 deployed Troops. In Spring 2011 we sent 58 care-packages (full of supplies & appreciation letters) to 58 deployed Troops, in Spring 2012 we sent 60 care-packages to 60 deployed Troops, and in Spring 2013 we sent 74 care-packages to 74 deployed Troops.
Recognitions & Awards
- Students for America’s Military of FSU (formerly Thank A Soldier Organization of FSU), has been recognized by several prominent individuals.
– On August 23rd 2012, TASO & CVA attended two bill signings at the state capital, when Governor Scott signed HB 45 and HB 347 into law to benefit student Veterans.
– On November 1st 2012, the City Commissioner presented a Resolution to CVA & TASO, to commend the efforts of our organizations to help make FSU and this community more Veteran-friendly.
– On November 7th 2012, Army ROTC presented TASO with a Certificate of Appreciation and a Seminole Battalion military coin.
– On January 5th 2012, President Barron recognized TASO and CVA during his speech at the banquet of Students Veterans of America’s national conference in January 2013.